The five simple and inexpensive strategies below can help you save energy and money, while staying comfortable through the cold winter months! If you are interested in getting a comprehensive home energy assessment, you can find more information and resources on the Department of Energy’s website here.
1. Open curtains on south-facing windows during the day to take advantage of heat from the sun; close them at night to reduce the chill coming in from the windows.
2. Cover drafty windows with tight-fitting, insulating drapes or shades.
3. When you are home, set the thermostat as low as is comfortable. When you are asleep or out of town, turning your thermostat down 10-15 degrees for eight hours can yield savings of 10% on your heating bills. A smart thermostat can make it easy for you to adjust your home’s temperature remotely.
4. Locate and seal any air leaks around utility pipes, chimneys, recessed lights, unfinished spaces, and leaky doors.
5. Use LED holiday light strings to reduce the cost of holiday decorations.